Do you need a new website?
Can you use a template or do you need a custom designed site?
At Tangelo, we almost always advise our clients to opt for a custom designed and built website. These will take more time to plan, design and build but we be tailored to the needs and goals of the business. They are generally going to cost more than using an off-the-shelf theme.
So, before you commission a website project, it’s important to understand what your options are and whether a theme or a custom-built website is the better option.
Using a website template
- Templates are great for low budget. There is a cheaper upfront cost.
- Templates have a shorter development time. So, you’ll be going live a lot sooner.
- Lots of other businesses could be using the same template so your site will not look unique.
- You are limited on how much you can customise the site to suit your business.
- Some templates are not 100% responsive – so may not work well on all devices.
- Some templates have a lot of code and features in the back-end and may be slow to load. This will affect your search-engine ranking and you may lose visitors who won’t stay on a slow site.
- It is more difficult (and may not be possible) to add special features or functions to the site.
- Template sites may not have as good of a support system as a custom built site.
Having a custom-designed website
- The website will have a unique design based on your company’s branding and the needs of your business.
- The website will be adaptable to your company’s needs and be able to accommodate new features and functions if you need them in the future.
- The site will be fully responsive with the design adapted for desktop, phone and tablet viewing.
- The site can be customised to be search engine friendly – including being quick to load and incorporating key search terms.
- There will be support available from the developer who built the site if you need it.
- A customised website is more expensive than a template.
- The process to create a custom site takes longer than a template site.
For more information see our article on commissioning a new website. Or feel free to call us on 08 9430 4166 or email@example.com.
By Tangelo Creative on May 25, 2018